Diary of a Practitioner

When I was in school and studying, I was called a Student. When I was in Varsity, I was called an Undergraduate. When I finished my diploma, I was called a Graduate. When I begin my practical attachment, I am called a Practitioner.

Tuesday, February 7

Day 40

Dear diary,
The Firm was under attack today!


Attack of the Lions

Everyone rushed outside at the (LOUD!) sounds of the gong and whatever it is they played for the great beasts...


The DoorWay, before: "What's the commotion?"

There was no stopping them!


The DoorWay, after: "RUN!!!!"

It was magnificent how we all were captivated by the Lion Dance...I remembered being excited about watching them when I was a kid...

I was still captivated by them just now...



I guess it's not something one outgrows...



I mean...Look at them...


They haven't outgrown it...how could I? ;-p

I can't remember when was the last time I saw a Lion Dance upclose. (Hey wait! I saw one a few days ago! But that doesn't count...) I don't think I've ever seen a Lion Dance done from start to finish though. Apparently, there were "steps" I weren't aware of till today...

Step 1: Pay a special visit to the "Boss" for luck(?)


I was surprised the Lions (both of them) could fit inside the small office...

Step 2: Peel fruits(?) and vegies


Notice the peeled orange...

It amazed us that the person inside the Lion costume could peel the orange with his hands. its mouth.

What does this step symbolize?

Step 3: Make a "bonsai" out of the peeled fruits


A "bonsai" made out of peeled oranges, one big "limau" and cabbage leaves...

Step 4: Arrange a deco for the place using coins


And I thought it was gonna spew out coins for us to catch and keep...hehe

I can only guess what the Chinese Character means: Prosperity.

Correct?

After the steps above, the troop made another round of the Firm premises then left.


Lions, Gong and Whatever-it-is-they-play-for the Lion Dance

I guess the Chinese New Year hasn't ended afterall like I thought it had. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it officially ends after 40 days - Chap Go Meh. Right?)

Anyways, I also got a treat today...


Everybody loves RED PACKETS

The long red packet I got from a colleague.
The one with the flower I got from the RCIA fascilitators from SFX...it pays to be good. Hehe.

So how much did I get?

FOUR HUNDRED...



...if you convert it into cents that is...

I know lah. It's not much. But it IS still "angpow" and it IS free money...without me having to go visiting some more... =)

Can't remember when I last went Chinese New Year visiting either.

So what can I buy with FOUR HUNDRED cents?


Lunch la...what else?...

Anyways, how much angpow did you get this year?

2 Comments:

Blogger Eve said...

oops...15days eh?
*smacks hand on forehead*
sorry...(^_^)"

cool...means u guys have double Valentines day then? haha...

what about the "steps" I mentioned? cud u shed sum light on what they symbolize? and maybe the correct terms used? were there any "steps" I missed out?

If Ada can't supply the answer, anybody out there care to help out? Joyce? May? Gerard? Whoever-if-any-that-happens-to-read-this?

Much abliged...and thanks for the correction Ada...

"see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil"...except in ur case Ada, substitute "evil" with "chinese"..
hehe...jk..

February 08, 2006 4:48 PM  
Blogger Eve said...

Dearest Ada,
My..that's a tough one...
FYI,I'm not that ladylike either..
You've seen me in my pics..have you ever seen me in a dress/skirt?
No rite? I prefer jeans.

Hmm...I don't know what pointers to give you..all I can say is,just be yourself and don't pretend you're someone you're not...
Don't be in a hurry to grow up...you're still young so enjoy climbing walls and playing street soccer with boys...You'll be the envy of every girl in school what! You'll be spending more time with their boyfriends than them! Haha..

But seriously,time will teach you to become more ladylike...don't worry about it just yet...you'll know how when the time comes...

Enjoy being a kid *no offence*...you have the rest of your life to be an adult...Trust me,its not that easy...and I'm just a Young Adult...even I still have a lot growing up to do...especially in the "ladylike" department...=D

Hope this has shed even the tiniest crack of light somewhere...=)

Sincerely,
Mar

February 10, 2006 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home