Diary of a Practitioner

When I was in school and studying, I was called a Student. When I was in Varsity, I was called an Undergraduate. When I finished my diploma, I was called a Graduate. When I begin my practical attachment, I am called a Practitioner.

Thursday, December 15

Day 10

Dear diary,

It's cliche. But I'm gonna say it anyway.
"BE CAREFUL of what you WISH for...You MAY just GET it."

The first part of the day (before noon)

Had work. Had play.
OK.

Towards noon

I was asked to re-file some docs which I filed few days ago.
Heh. Filing.
Again.

(Backtrack: I always complained about filing...because I FEEL it's so banal and unchallenging...It's SSSOOOOO not my area of expertise...I'm an ACCOUNTS undergraduate...not FILING MANAGEMENT!!)

Today, it's proven.
It really IS banal and unchallenging...cos I was falling asleep on the job. Literally!

That's when I sub-consciously made the wish:
"I'd rather photocopy or do scanning...I HATE filing..."
(Ok...so maybe photocopy and scanning aren't in my field of expertise either...but at least it involves machines...not just paper-punches, paper-clips, staplers and "bullets"...it's not as banal and unchallenging as filing...)

My real supervisor told me that the Accounts Payable people requested me (I'm in Accounts Receivables & Payroll) to help them out when I'm done filing.
But I haven't even finished filing when my (superficial) supervisor gave me some 31 sets of docs to scan and send for processing.

*Grins* Scanning...hehe.

After Noon

I was done scanning so I "reported" myself to Accounts Payable.
My task:
"Find certain docs for checking by the people from Customs (They're coming tomorrow). OK.
The docs are in the store at the back. Oh-kay.
The docs are in different files so you have to look at more than 1 file and find them all. OOH-K?
Then you photocopy the docs (leave the original in the file) and give them to me."

*Grins* Photocopy...hey.

Spent more than an hour STANDING in the store, opening bulky cardoard files-cum-box, (Imagine a BIG box that can be opened up like a book and functions as a file), flipping through pages and pages of docs looking for the "chosen ones"...It didn't help that some were "unfoundable" and had to be tracked down...more files to open up.

Files. Heh.

After finding all the docs I wanted, I thought my misery was over.

Until the Accounts Payable lady tells me that I'm not allowed to take the docs out of the file.
"So how am I to make copies?" I asked a little too loudly.

Her answer:
She flipped the box/file/book/whatever upside down on the copier and Presto! A copy is made.

(Since you can't see the box/file/book/whatever...I'm gonna try to illustrate this as best I can. Imagine a really2 THICK hard-cover phonebook...Imagine it a LOT heavier than the phonebook with the yellow pages...now imagine opening it to a certain page and then flipping the book upside down...making sure the pages you chose earlier doesn't even wrinkle....Oh yes...remember that on the copier there's a certain "boundary" where the paper should be...otherwise when you make the copy...let's just say the copy made won't be the perfect clone of the original. I sure hope you get the picture. Cos I'm really painting pictures with words here...)

And so my "work-out" begins...

Stand up.
Open file.
Find doc.
Upside down.
Press "Copy".
Error. Paper out of boundary. (Hey...I'm just learning to photocopy without taking the doc out of the file here!!)
Re-arrange doc on boundary.
Press "Copy".
1 copy made.
Turn around.
Put copy on table.
Still standing up.
Open file.
Find doc.
Upside down.
Press "Copy".
Error. Paper out of boundary. (Still learning the ropes...)
Re-arrange doc on boundary.
Press "Copy".
1 copy made.
Turn around.
Put copy on table.
Still standing up.
Open file.
Find doc.
Upside down.
Press "Copy".
Error. Paper out of boundary. (No it's NOT!!! The copier is definitely plotting aginst me!!)
Re-arrange doc on boundary.
Press "Copy".
1 copy made.
Turn around.
Put copy on table.
Still standing up.
....

You get the idea.
I'm not even going to illustrate the fact that the paper gets jammed in the copier for countless times. Not to mention the intricate procedures to pull apart the copier to remove the jammed paper. Uurrrggghhh!!!

At the end of the day, my arms feel like I've been doing weight-lifting with the files.
My legs are glued to the floor.
And I am no longer grinning.

Photocopy. Heh!

Cliche? Yes.
But true. SO True!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home